James usually covers something I know, but every so often something comes up and I am seeing something new. But in every case I learn something I didn't know before.
Here are some of my favorites:
- The Book of Marvelous Magic - I was looking for a copy of this at the auction, so this was the right thing at the right time.
- Authentic Thaumtaurgy - Issac Bonewits was one of the first people I talked to on the Internet back in the old Bitnet days. He was kind of a jerk. But I liked this book.
- Dragon Dice- precious jewels!
- The Dying Earth - How I learned to love Vancian magic.
- Palace of the Vampire Queen - managed to score a copy of this.
- Alma Mater - this one too. One of the strangest games in my collection.
- Chill - again my love of Chill knows no bounds.
- Castle Amber - one of my most favorite adventures.
- Castle Greyhawk - I also own this one, and yes it is bad. It is also deadly, maybe one of the deadliest dungeon crawls to be published by TSR. Yes. Even more deadly than Tomb of Horrors. If I remember right CG features at least two elder vampires, three Death Knights, a couple of demon lords and everything but a Kitchen Sink Monster.
- Ravenloft - Still my favorite adventure ever.
I have used these retrospectives many times as a starting point to do more research for articles on Wikipedia or for my own benefit.