Cool stuff really. What they have there is largely compatible with what I want to do in my adventure. Dragotha was Tiamat's consort, he was betrayed and left for dead. In the Draconomicon he was "aided" by Kyuss. I think I might not use that part or just not bring it up.
Course now is the big question. Will Dragotha help the PCs or try to fight them? I am going to have him under Kerapis' thrall, so as long as Keraptis is alive, then Dragotha will attack. Would Dragotha know of the PC's quest? They have not been secret about it to be sure.
So till next session, I'll hit the research. Certainly I could "just make stuff" up, but I like the feeling of my little game being part of a larger world. Plus one day, maybe one day soon, my boys will be searching for this stuff online too and I want them to be able to say "yes! I Was there, I did that."
What have I learned?
- Keraptis was a contemporary of Acererak.
- He delved into Necromancy, pretty deeply in fact. He may have been one of Greyhawk's premier necromancers.
- He is most certainly a lich now; if not dead.
- The magical items are each connected to the elements, Whelm-Earth, Blackrazor-Fire, Wave-Water and a fourth, Seeker, an elven arrow for Air.
- White Plume Mountain is a place of ancient magics.
To be sure, this is a lot of background for a guy that is essentially the Level 20 Boss. But a well developed villain is a good villain.
I might change Seeker to a bow and my other son has been looking for a sword called "The Dragon Blade" that he is certain has to exist. I'd give it pluses for killing evil dragons and allow the wielder to be looked apon favorably by good dragons. He is not interested in Blackrazor at all. It might end up in Omar's shop!
I even found a place for the final battle, the Cave of Bones.