The Other Side is up for an ENnie Award for "Best Blog" this year and I could not be more thrilled.
You can see the list of nominees here: http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2014-ennie-awards-nominees/ and can vote here: http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/
As you can see I am in some really great company. But there are some reasons I think that my blog deserves this award.
- I am going to be at Gen Con this year with my kids. I like to take my kids to Gen Con. They love it and they have been talking about it for WEEKS now. What would really be nice is to see their dad win an award for all the hard work he has been doing.
- Where else can you go to get the variety of games I talk about? D&D, Unisystem, Chill, d20, Old-school, new-school, Call of Cthulhu and many more.
- My week long dips into various games. I know from my stats that you have enjoyed it when I take a game and cover it all week long, whether it was Adventures Dark & Deep or Super Babes!
- Features. I give you features on either a weekly basis like Zatannurday or White Dwarf Wednesday. Or my semi-regular features Plays Well With Others or The Best Blog You Are Not Reading or Kickstart Your Weekend. I may not have the most up to date news or know what is going on in every corner of the Internet, but I like to think I am posting things that people want to read.
- Reviews. Along with the features I have posted my reviews of various game products here. So far I have written 676 reviews. Not too shabby really.
- Community. I try to bring other blogs and bloggers into our orbit. Either they have something really interesting to say or to help expand our hobby. I believe than in a strong community more ideas will flow and ultimately that will be better for our hobby. Both for ourselves and people outside of it. While I am not the one to sit around the camp fire and sing songs about getting along, I am the guy that will say we should chill out and just roll some dice.
- Gnome Stew is a great blog, but while they have a team (nine authors) I am just one guy. They have 2,000,000 visitors and I have 1,500,000+. They have written 2500+ articles since 2009, while I have written 2300+ since 2009. Plus they have won every year, so maybe it is time to give someone new a chance!
- I respect the ENnies as a peoples choice award. Does ENWorld have problems? Sure. But the truth is that gamers and fans of games vote for these products and sites. It is a way of the community saying "yeah Tim, you are OK" and I appreciate that. So yeah, I would love to have one.
- You know who else likes awards? My Mom!
No seriously, she does. This would make her day.
- The ENnies do open up doors for writers. This would help me out a lot in getting more material written and out to you all.
My fellow nominees all have fine blogs, but I hope you will vote for me and The Other Side.