Something I did for another site, but thought it would work well here. I started watching "Salem" finally. Love it so far. Has not grabbed me like American Horror Story did, but it is only a matter of time.
We also have Maleficent out this weekend so really it is a good time for witches on TV and Movies.
Or as Time Magazine said it, "Witches are the new Vampires".
My goal with Strange Brew: The Ultimate Witch and Warlock would be to allow you play ANY type of witch. Good, Bad, Wicked, whatever type of witch is YOUR favorite, that is what I want to do.
Here is a list of my Top Ten witches, in no particular order. Who is your favorite? Let me know in the poll below and in the comments section.
1. Cordelia Foxx (American Horror Story: Coven) - In the 13 episodes of 'American Horror Story - Coven' we saw Cordelia go from meek instructor of Miss Robichaux's Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies and living in the long shadow of Jessica Lange's Supreme to be being blinded, given the Sight, finding out her husband was a witch killer, given some new eyes, blinded again and then finally displaying the Seven Wonders to become the newest Supreme.
As the Supreme she is in charge of all the world's witches. Since going public that is a lot more girls that need training. American Horror Story never shied away from death, gruesome dismemberment, sexual taboos and killing off main cast members. While we might not see Supreme Cordelia again, we certainly will see Sarah Paulson in more seasons.
Plus, and let us be honest here, she could have a wicked temper. She was the one that tricked Dolores Umbridge into the Forbidden Forest to get captured by Centaurs and she keeps Rita Skeeter trapped in a jar for the last part of The Goblet of Fire.
3. Piper Halliwell (Charmed) - For eight seasons of Charmed Piper went from the quiet middle sister of the Halliwell witches to the ass-kicking, demon killing leader of the Charmed Ones, the most powerful witches in the world. She helped kill the leader of the demon-world, The Source of All Evil, twice. Three times if you count the near attempts in the later seasons. She married a Guardian Angel (a "White Lighter" in the show), gave birth to two sons that were half-witch and half-lighter and destined to be the future protectors of the innocents of the world. But more importantly she did all of this while keeping her family and friends safe. Well...mostly safe.
4. Willow Rosenberg & Tara Maclay (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - Willow was the shy Scooby. The one that didn't want cause problems, but she helped her new friend Buffy Summers, another chosen one, because if nothing else Willow does what it right. She got a little taste of magical power in Season 2 and the rest. Well Willow became the most powerful witch in the series. She re-ensouled Angel, she went toe to toe with demons of all sorts, and when a god destroyed her girlfriend Tara's mind then Willow did something that the Slayer herself had not done. She made a god scream. Willow though struggled with her power and when a stray bullet killed Tara, Willow (and the Willow and Tara fans) went crazy and nearly destroyed the world. She was talked back down, but she never seemed the same after that.
Tara was and is my favorite Buffy character. For me she is a quiet, but deep well of power. Spend anytime on this site to see what I mean.
5. Samantha Stephens (Bewitched) - You know what real power is? Not strangling the annoying people around you! At least that is what I think Samantha's real power was. Married to a muggl-sorry, mortal, Darren, Samantha still managed to use her powers, stay out of the spotlight (or at least the prying eyes of neighbor Mrs. Kravitz), solve the problems and still look fantastic all in 25 minutes. A lot of Samantha's problems came from trying to please her husband Darren or from her relatives and later daughter. With a twitch of her nose and nary a "hocus pocus" heard she still managed it all.
6. Joanna Beauchamp (Witches of East End) - Joanna Beauchamp has managed to do something so magical it makes the other witches seem like First Years at Hoggwarts. She made me really like Julia Ormond! I am being slightly snarky with that I fear. I like Julia Ormond, I just never cared for her characters till now. Joanna is a fierce witch. She is the protective mother (and ALL that entails) of Freya and Ingrid and loving sister of Wendy (who I thought was going to be my favorite Beauchamp witch). She has proven to be strong, determined and despite all that, she still doesn’t know all the answers. I like that in my witches; knowing that magic can’t solve all her problems. Joanna and Julia keep me coming back for more Witches of East End.
7. Lafayette Reynolds (True Blood) - Lafayette may have died in the books early on, but in the TV series he is a series regular and one of the most popular characters. Later on he learns he is witch when his boyfriend Jesus reveals to him that he is a Brujo. Lafayette can channel the spirits of the dead and possibly even a demon.
8. Mary Sibley (Salem) - I have only just started watching this series but so far I love what I see. Mary is an interesting, conflicted character. It is hard not to sympathize with her, but she is certainly not on the side of angels here. Special recognition has to go out to Tituba, one of the historical Salem “witches” and the bridge point between this series and American Horror Story Coven.
9. Katrina (Sleepy Hollow) - We have only seen glimpses of Katrina and her power. But one thing is for sure she is firmly in the camp of the “Good Witches”. Also given her birth she would be one of the first women to truly be called an “American Witch”. I am looking forward to seeing so much more of her next season of what turned out to be one of my favorite shows of 2013.
10. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent) - She is either a fairy or a witch, maybe both, but there is no doubt that she is powerful. She put a princess to sleep for 100 years and raised and entire forest of thorns.
Honorable Mention: Cassie (Hex), Wicked Witch of the West (Oz, Wicked), Angelique (Dark Shadows), Robin (Witch Hunter Robin), Sabrina (Sabrina the Teen Aged Witch), Luna and Tonks (Harry Potter), Witchiepoo (H.R. Puffinstuff), Jadis (The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe), Rachel Morgan (The Hollows Series) and Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)
Who is your favorite?