The next playtest packet is out for D&D5 (I still hate calling it "Next").
There is a lot more material including character generation (novel concept you ROLL for your abilities) which already has some of the newer guard complaining. Though there is the standard array.
- I like the monster write-ups. They are simple and easy to read and can summarized in a module easy.
- Character creation is really fast, as it should be.
- Some feats now seem to be maneuvers, which I like.
- Classes focus on the Big 4.
- Backgrounds and skills together. This is an improvement over 4e since you can now play that kid just off the moisture farm.
- I can see Witch as being a Specialty of a Wizard. This reminds me a lot of the 2nd Ed Kits.
- Races are the other Big 4.
All in all I see the strands of DNA from every edition of D&D here.
I will buy this game, I am not sure if I'll play it much but who knows.