I have detailed my attempts here and here. Since that time we have gotten new reprints from WotC and the DNDClassics PDF store opened up. My kids also dropped 4e in favor of 1st Ed Ad&D.
So I have an embarrassment of riches here. I have the systems, I have the modules and I even have the willing players. What I lack is time to do it all.
I guess the only thing for it is to make the time. That and stop buying games.
In my kid's 3.x game we are going to do the Tomb of Horror and I'll talk about that one later.
In their 1st ed game they are still investigating the Caves of Chaos. After that that we are doing T1 and L1 before moving on to the A series, to eventually do the GDQ series. I'll work other classics in there where they fit.
Here is my plan so far.
- B1 In Search of the Unknown, levels 1-3 (played at Gen Con 2012)
- B2 Keep on the Borderlands, levels 1-3
- T1 Village of Hommlet, Intro-levels
- L1 The Secret of Bone Hill, levels 2-4
- A0 to A4, levels 4-7
- A5, The Last Slave Lord, levels 5-9
- G123, levels 8-12
- D12, levels 9-14
- D3, levels 10-14
- Q1, levels 10-14
The trouble is that living in a post-Drow world the impact of GDQ is just not the same unless I make them very different.
Also while Queen of the Demon web pits is fun, it lacks the final confrontation that I would like to do with a "big bad". Plus I'd like to go to 20th level.
I could scale everything up a little and stick I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City in there before the A series.
Other candidates are X2 (I already took them through X1), C1 and C2.
That would round out the classics really. Here is how they stack;
- X2 Castle Amber, levels 3-6 (after L1)
- I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, levels 4-7 (after A but before G)
- C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, levels 5-7 (after A but before G)
- C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness, levels 5-7 (after A but before G)
Not to bad really.
It's not too difficult to turn the GDQ series up anyway, but are the drow and Lolth interesting enough?
Since this is the "NextGen" game after my 3.x one maybe Lolth is taking some revenge for her ally Tiamat, or moving into the recently vacated "most evil goddess" role.
While I don't need it a huge Lolth figure would be nice.